The telecommunications industry is rapidly evolving, and with it, the importance of efficient number portability has become paramount. Number Portability has been enforced in over 100 countries, and in the mobile space, over 40% of all numbers have been ported over the years.
As customer expectations rise and regulatory landscapes become more complex, telcos face an ever-growing set of challenges to do so efficiently. The Netaxis NPACT number portability solution builds on the proven API Orchestration platform APIO, implemented at many leading operators globally. It allows operators to automate the cumbersome and error-prone number porting process.
The challenges faced by telecoms operators in the number portability process
Telecommunications Operators face a number of challenges in the domain of number portability. These challenges are exacerbated in a modern, highly competitive marketplace where churn increases and retention times grow ever smaller. This is especially the case where mobile subscribers are concerned. Several business and operational challenges arise.
- Technological advances and growing expectations: The introduction of mobile number portability (MNP) marked a substantial inflection point for the telecoms industry. Initially, this concept was met with skepticism, but over time, it has proved crucial as a catalyst for the fostering of competition and improving customer satisfaction. Service providers can no longer rely on the inconvenience of changing numbers to retain customers.
- Regulatory changes and global trends: Different countries have introduced number portability at various stages of their market development. Studies suggest that the welfare effect of introducing number portability can vary depending on the maturity of any given market, complicating the process for regulators and service providers. A decision to impose number portability is, in particular, made more difficult in mature markets where incumbents have long-established provisioning processes that have yet to benefit from centralisation and automation.
- Impact on service providers and market dynamics: The implementation of number portability has led to significant changes in market dynamics. Telcos are forced to be more competitive and customer-centric. The freedom for subscribers to choose their service provider without changing their number encourages competition, potentially leading to reduced tariffs and improved service quality.
- Regulatory complexities: Telecoms engineers grapple with differing number portability regulations across regions and countries. Each jurisdiction has unique compliance requirements, making it challenging to maintain standard operational procedures across different markets. This clearly affects multinational operators more than those serving single markets.
- Operational inefficiencies: Traditional number porting processes are often manual, leading to significant delays and errors. These inefficiencies can disrupt service continuity, affecting both new and existing customers.
- Technological limitations: Many telecommunications systems are outdated and cannot efficiently handle the dynamic requirements of modern telecommunications, including the rapid processing of number portability requests.
- Customer experience implications: Delays or complications in number porting can lead to customer dissatisfaction and loss of loyalty. In today’s competitive market, customer experience is paramount, and any negative experience can significantly impact a telecoms company’s reputation and customer retention rates.
The NPACT solution and its benefits
- Automated Porting Processes:
- Efficient Transfers: Automates the entire number porting process, significantly reducing time and effort.
- Error Reduction: Minimises manual interventions, reducing potential errors and service delays.
- Integration Capabilities:
- System Compatibility: Seamlessly integrates with existing Operational Support Systems (OSS) and Business Support Systems (BSS).
- API-Driven Functionality: Offers robust API interfaces, enhancing operational efficiency through easy integration with other systems.
- Regulatory Compliance:
- Adherence to Standards: Complies with national and international number portability regulations.
- Flexibility and Adaptability: Capable of adapting to regulatory changes, ensuring continuous compliance.
- Customer Experience Enhancement:
- Quick Service Activation: Reduces waiting times, increasing customer satisfaction.
- Transparency: Provides updates throughout the porting process, enhancing trust in the service provider.
- A versatile platform:
- Integrated Communication: Facilitates streamlined communication between different telecoms systems.
- Scalable Architecture: Adapts to varying operational sizes and requirements.
- Advanced Analytics: Provides insights for informed decision-making and optimization of services.
Netaxis NPACT solution offers a comprehensive approach to a number portability challenges in telecommunications. Key features include an automated workflow for efficient porting, compliance adherence to evolving regulations, a user-friendly interface for improved operational efficiency, advanced reporting tools for insightful analytics, real-time notifications for enhanced customer satisfaction, scalability and flexibility to adapt to various operational needs, and stringent data security and privacy measures. NPACT provides a robust, efficient, and user-friendly solution for modern telecoms operators.
For telecoms operators seeking to improve their number portability processes and enhance customer satisfaction, NPACT offers an ideal solution. Contact us for a demo and see how our solution can revolutionise your number portability services.
Ready to elevate your telecoms services?
Get in touch to see how NPACT can support your challenges.